The currency in Chile is the Chilean Peso (CLP), its worth is 1 USD = 820 CLP, approximately. There are 4 different coins:
And, there are 5 different types of bills:
Banks and ATMs
There is a wide range of banks in Chile, many of them international. The opening hours in Chile are from Monday to Friday, from 9 AM to 14.00 PM. However, some of them have afternoon office hours, but that depends on each bank.
ATMS can be found within banks, but also inside some stores, gasoline stations and some drugstores. They are widely available and most of them work 24/7. They take debit and credit cards.
Most of the restaurants and shops accept cash, debit and credit cards. Checks are usually not accepted.
There is a wide range of shopping centres around the conference venue:
- Costanera Center: Avenida Andrés Bello 2425, Providencia – Opened from 10 AM to 10 PM.
- Casacostranera: Nueva Costanera 3900, Vitacura – Opened from 10 AM to 9 PM.
- Portal Lyon: Avenida Providencia 2198, Providencia – Opened from 10 AM to 9 PM on weekdays, and on the weekends until 7 PM.
- Galeria Zona Franca: Av. Providencia 2251, Providencia – Opened from 10:30 AM to 8 PM.
- Mall Vivo Panoramico: Nueva Providencia 2155, Providencia – Opened from 10:30 AM to 9 PM on weekdays, and until 6 PM on the weekends.
Electricity in Chile operates on 220V, 50Hz. Electrical sockets have two or three holes and accept round plugs.
Considering the exchange rate, it is advisable for visitors to bring dollars (USD) and change them here for the local currency or to bring Chilean pesos directly. This can be made at banks, airport or in exchange offices.
There are many exchange offices in Santiago. The ones closer to the Conference Venue are:
- Casa De Cambio: Av. Pedro de Valdivia 20 – Open until 6 PM.
- Cambios Santiago: Av. Pedro de Valdivia 29 – Opens at 10 AM.
- Cambios Lyon: Av. Providencia 1413 – Open until 6:30 PM.
- Cambios Santiago Factoring: Av. Pedro de Valdivia 29 – Opens at 10 AM.
- Agrex: Av. Pedro de Valdivia 044 – Open until 5:30 PM.
- Gamaex Chile: Av. Pedro de Valdivia 020 – Open until 6 PM.
- Guiñazu: Av. Pedro de Valdivia 048 – Open until 6 PM.
- Afex: Av. Pedro de Valdivia 012 – Open until 6 PM.
Public Transportation System
In Chile, there are three types of public transportation: Subway (Metro de Santiago), buses and taxis. The price of the Subway or buses is approximately CLP 800 during peak hours (7 AM – 9 AM and 6 PM – 8PM), and approximately CLP 700 during off-peak hours.
A Bip! Card is needed to use public transportation (subway and buses), which costs CLP 1.000 and needs to be prepaid. This card can be bought in every subway station.
Tipping in Chile is not mandatory. However, it is usually suggested on the receipts, and is the 10% of the total payment.
Weather and Time Zone
The climate in Santiago is Mediterranean, and rain is scarce. Winter goes from June to August, and the average temperature is 8°C during this season.
The time zone in Chile is UTC-4, and the official time can be checked in the following link: http://www.horaoficial.cl
- Emergency: 131
- Fire: 132
- Police: 133